Tuesday 1 April 2014

Indian frozen dessert (kulfi)


Happy 1st monthversary... Thank you all for following my blog  yes iCook is one month old today.  So when there's an celebration there has to be something sweet, so I made this super simple Indian frozen dessert called kulfi.




I remember as a kid, summers meant mango shakes & freezer full of these conical pyramid like metallic moulds ( kulfi moulds) filled with flavored reduced milk frozen dessert, in that one particular shape. I don't own kulfi moulds myself (as my hubby doesn't really have a sweet tooth) so I thought of borrowing it from a friend of mine but strangely non of my friends had it too, so I decideded to freeze it in a regular container (& to satisfy my kulfi craving I just walk up to the nearby ice cream-parlour) 



In fact when I used to live in New Delhi, visiting India Gate post dinner for kulfi was a big high,I remember my dad would drive my mum & me via India Gate every time we would visit the club close by. After I got married & I moved to Maharashtra India, kulfi had a different look & taste. It no more came in the typical pyramid moulds, it was now served on a leaf, sliced just like a regularly ice cream brick, even the texture was smoother & came in different flavors like chocolate, pan & of-course the regular pistachio, almonds, saffron & malai (cream). 




Today I have made the simplest version to start with.




Prep time - 2 hrs
Freezing time - 6 to 8 hrs 


Ingredients 

02 Ltrs - full cream milk
02 cup - sugar
10 to 12 strands - pure saffron
02 - cardamom (if desired )
Dry fruits if desired ( I personally don't like dry fruits)

Method 

Reduce the milk to half on low flame while stirring continuously so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
Mean while desolve saffron in 1/4th cup of hot milk, keep asaid.
Add sugar and cardamom, mix well.
Turn the flame off & add the defused saffron. Let it cool.
Now fill the kulfi moulds & place up right in the deep freezer for about 6 - 8 hrs or till it sets.
Demould the dessert & serve it with any desired topping. My favourite is Nolan gur (liquid palm jaggery).


Happy Cooking :)
















No comments:

Post a Comment