Monday 28 July 2014

She'reya | seviyan | vermicelli kheer with rose flavour


Now that eid-ul-fitr is just round the corner. Today I decided to give out the recipe of a dish without which no eid is complete. Seviya, it is by and large made in almost every continent in the world. In Italy it's called vermacelli, basically it's a kind of pasta, which is used as a dessert and as a side dish both. These roasted, sugared noodles are traditional dessert served on eid. You can either make them as sweetened milky soup or dried.



Every time I visit the famous "Charminar" in Hyderabad I always stock up on my homemade roasted super thin vermicelli. They are so fine that it hardly takes anytime to cook. I remember before I got married if any one had sweet craving post meals,my mum would quickly make vermacelli kheer, and till date my favorite Indian dessert has been "sevaiya" or "she'reya".


I have eaten so many versions of this dish. Which includes savory too. But my personal favorite is defiantly the sweet version, which too comes in different forms. Milky soupy, milky dry, sugar coated, saffron coloured, to name a few.


Today I will be giving out the recipe for the popular milky soup version with rose flavor.



Ingredient
  • 01 cup- Broken seviyan
  • 500 ml - Milk 
  • 03 tbsp - Sugar
  • rose petals or dried rose buds for garnishing 
Method
  1. In a pan boil milk and let it simmer till it reduces a little
  2. Add sugar & give it a boil
  3. When the milk has thicken a bit add the roasted vermicelli & cook for 5 mins.
  4. Dish it out and garnish with rose buds.
Note - You may add dry fruits of your choice.







3 comments: